We have been enjoying these moist and crumbly scones with daily espresso and lattes from our new Saeco coffee machine (we call her Sophia) every morning. Yum yum!
4 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks butter, cut up into small pieces (i put mine in freezer after cutting to keep it cold)
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup golden raisins
zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon milk
turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss the raisins and lemon zest with 1 tablespoon of the flour in a small bowl.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the butter cubes into the flour mix with a dough cutter.
- Pour in the heavy cream and mix a little bit (but do not over mix).
- Add in the raisins and lemon zest and mix with a wooden spoon (or spatula) carefully.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1.5" thickness.
- Cut the dough in 12 equal pieces (mine was kind of free-from cuts, instead of nice and neat like hers).
- In a small bowl, mix the egg with the milk for egg wash.
- Brush the top of each scone with the egg wash and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes or so on the pan before transferring them on a cooling rack.