Note: You might be able to find Galangal in Asian groceries. It's a relative to Ginger root but tastes different and more fragrant. If you can't find it, according to some websites, you can substitute it with ginger and some lime juice.
1 lb boneless and skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut in strips
1 lb red potatoes, cut into quarter
1 can of straw mushrooms
3 cups of coconut milk
1.5 cups of water
2 stalks of lemon grass (cut into 3-inch lengths and pounded)
6 kaffir lime leaves (lightly bruised to release the flavor)
6 slices galangal
5 dried red chillies, seeded and soaked with water
5 tablespoons fish sauce
juice of half lime
2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
- Stir fry the onion with a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pot for a couple of minutes.
- Add the lemon grass, galangal, dried chillies, kaffir lime leaves and stir fry for a few more minutes until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk and water into the pot and bring it to boil.
- Add the potatoes and bring to boil again.
- Add straw mushrooms and chicken and boil it on medium heat for a few minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add lime juice and fish sauce to taste.
- Add chopped cilantro before serving.