I followed Not Quite Nigella's recipe of Creamy Potato and Zucchini Gratin and added leeks, more seasonings, cheese and breadcrumbs.
2 lb yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
2 zucchini, thinly sliced
2 leeks, shredded
1 cup half and half
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
4 oz sharp white cheddar, shredded
4 oz Swiss cheese, shredded
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400F and butter a 9x13 baking pan.
- Saute the leeks with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same pot, add in the potato slices, milk, half-and-half, herbs and seasonings and cook over high heat until boiling then turn down to low so that it just barely simmers. Cook until tender (approximately 10 minutes).
- Add in the zucchini slices, cook for another couple of minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the buttered pan, sprinkle with the shredded cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until the top becomes evenly golden.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.