nocoupons2 cups plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 cup sugar
1 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoons kosher salt
zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
3/8 pound (1.5 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cold heavy cream
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water or milk, for egg wash
1/8 cup raw (turbinado sugar) for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In the bowl, mix 2 cups of flour, 1/8 cup sugar, the baking powder, salt and half of the zest.
- Add the cold butter and mix with a hand mixer until the butter is the size of peas.
- Combine the eggs and heavy cream and, with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture and mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy and sticky.
- Combine the blueberries, the rest of the zest and 1/8 cup of flour, add to the dough, and fold in until blended.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it into a ball. Flour your hands and knead the dough 3/4-inch thick. You should see small bits of butter in the dough.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut triangles of dough.
- Place the scones on a baking pan lined with parchment paper or silpat.
- Brush the tops of the scones with egg wash, sprinkle with raw sugar, and bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked.
- The scones will be firm to the touch.
- Allow the scones to cool for a couple minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.