6 cups of water
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 lb fresh Shiitake mushrooms (or 8-10 dried Shiitake mushrooms)
1/2 lb of fresh bok choy or similar Chinese vegetables
1 package of firm or soft tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
5 slices ginger, cut into thin strips
2 teaspoons white pepper
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Shaoxing cooking wine
1 teaspoon Mirin
1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
2 green onions, finely chopped
- If using dried Shiitake mushrooms, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes and drain.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot and then add salt.
- Cut the mushroom stems and then cut each mushroom in half.
- Wash and rinse the vegetables, removing any dirt, any tough or wilted stems, and separate the leaves.
- Add the mushroom to the boiling water, and let the water return to boil, then add the tofu, ginger, white pepper, soy sauce, Shaoxing cooking wine and Mirin. Return to boil on medium flame, cover with lid and simmer for about 15 minutes (or 20 minutes if using dried mushrooms).
- Add the vegetables and stir, let water return to boil and simmer for 1 more minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley and green onion prior to serving.