1 lb chicken meat (thigh or breast meat), cut into 1-inch cubes
1 head of cabbage, cut into quarters and then roughly sliced
2 carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch coins
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, cut into quarters and then roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
2 tablespoons Shaoxing cooking wine
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons Chinese Black Bean and Garlic sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup of roughly chopped basil leaves
1/2 cup of chopped green onion
1 teaspoon corn starch
- Marinate the chicken meat in ginger, Shaoxing cooking wine and sesame oil for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan until hot and then add the marinated chicken. Stir fry until it cooks through (about 5 minutes or so) and set aside.
- Add in the chopped onion and garlic into the hot pan and stir fry until fragrant.
- Add in the chopped cabbage, carrots, salt, white pepper and continue cooking on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the Black Bean and Garlic sauce and sugar, stir the mixture, lower the heat, cover the pan and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes until the carrots starting to soften up.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the corn starch with a little water.
- Return the chicken meat into the pan, add the corn starch mixture, chopped green onion and basil leaves.
- Adjust seasoning as needed, stir well and continue cooking for another minute or two until the sauce started to boil and thicken up.
- Serve over rice.