4 medium Chinese eggplants
2 package of cooked fried (yellow) tofu
3 tablespoons oil
1 head of garlic, finely chopped
8 slices ginger, finely chopped
2 Serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
4 green onions, cut into 1-inch section
1 tablespoon chili paste (I used Sambal Oelek)
1 tablespoon Chinese black bean garlic sauce
1/2 cup water
1.5 tablespoons soy sauce
1.5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon mirin
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
- Cut eggplants length wise and then cut each half into 1-inch pieces.
- Cut tofu into 1-inch pieces.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Stir fry garlic, ginger and Serrano pepper over medium low heat in a heavy bottom pan or a wok for 5 minutes fragrant.
- Add in the eggplant pieces, cook until the eggplants absorb the oil and begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add in tofu, green onion and the chili paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and mix carefully to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the water and cover the pan with a lid, lower the heat, simmer for 6-8 minutes until eggplants are fully cooked.
- Stir to mix carefully and serve over rice.