Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cheese Straws


I made these Cheese Straws using Mark Bittman's recipe because I wanted to have some salty snacks in the afternoon and also use them as substitutes for croutons for our salad. They are pretty easy and tasty but I noticed that the direction and measurement in the book are not very clear - I had to add more water than 'a few drops of ice water' because the dough was not doughy enough and baked them for twice as long. I think next time I make them, I would use Smitten Kitchen's recipe since hers is clearer and easier for me to follow.


Ingredients:

1/2 lb cheddar or other flavorful hard cheese
1/3 lb Parmesan cheese
2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled butter, cut into chunks
~1/4 cup of ice cold water
coarse salt (optional)

Directions:
  • Heat oven to 450F.
  • Grate the cheese in a food processor, then remove from the bowl.
  • Add flour and cayenne to the processor and pulse to mix.
  • Add butter and process to combine, pulse in the grated cheese.
  • Knead the dough by hand until the dough comes together, adding ice water one tablespoon at a time.
  • Roll the dough out into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick, using flour as necessary, and cut into long strips and about 1/4-1/2 inch wide.
  • Put on a lightly greased baking sheet or a silicone mat and sprinkle with salt.
  • Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment