3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks (1/2 lb) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1/3 lb dried figs, cut into small dice
8 slices bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons cream or water
raw sugar for sprinkling
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Cut in the butter until you have pea-sized pieces.
- Add in the chopped figs and bacon and stir to combine.
- Add all of the liquid and stir a few times until just mix.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a lightly floured flat surface.
- Pat the dough into a ball.
- Using a well-floured rolling pin or palms of your hands, flatten the dough into a flat disk about 3/4 - 1 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 8 to 10 wedges, depending on the size scone you prefer.
- Whisk the egg and water in a small mixing bowl.
- Brush each wedge with the egg wash.
- Place scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat; bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and no longer sticky in the middle.