4 chicken thighs
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 carrots, thinly sliced
1 pound assorted mushrooms (such as shiitake, cremini, and white), stemmed and quartered
1 1/2 cups chicken stock (or white wine)
1 cup quartered dried figs
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season both sides of the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large ovenproof skillet or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, skin side down; cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3 minutes on the other side. Transfer to oven and roast for about 10 minutes, transfer to a place and cover.
- Cook the onion in the same pan with a couple tablespoons of olive oil for 2-3 minutes and then add in the carrot slices and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add mushroom, chicken stock and the chicken pieces back to the pan, cover, cook stirring occasionally for another 3 minutes.
- Dissolve corn starch in a small bowl with a couple tablespoons water and add into the pan.
- Add dried figs, chopped parsley and adjust seasoning if needed.