1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces (I used 5 thighs and 5 drumsticks)
- Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, pepper, 1 cup water and half the coconut milk in a large pan big enough to hold the chicken in one layer and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the chicken, reduce the heat to medium low and cook, covered, turning once or twice, until the chicken is almost done, about 25 minutes.
- At this point, you can refrigerate the chicken in the liquid for up to a day before preceeding; skim the fat before reheating.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the liquid and dry them gently with paper towels, and then broil the chicken until hot, brown and crisp, turning as necessary.
- In the mean time, boil the sauce along with the remaining coconut milk over high heat until it is reduced to about 1 cup
- Serve the chicken with the sauce.