Sunday, January 24, 2010

Slanted Door

Last Friday, my "best friends" at work took me to Slanted Door, Charles Phan's Vietnamese restaurant at the Ferry Building, for lunch to celebrate my birthday the day before. It has been awhile since the last time I went there.

We started our lunch by sharing Daikon Rice Cakes with shiitake mushrooms and shallots and Spring Rolls with shrimp, pork, mint and peanut sauce. I really enjoyed the flavor and texture of the Daikon rice cakes, it's not like the typical daikon rice cake that I usually find at dim sum restaurants. And the sauce... I couldn't tell what in the sauce but it totally complimented the rice cake well.


Interestingly enough, all of us ordered noodles for our main courses: Crispy Egg Noodles with prawns, scallops, squid, carrots, broccoli, and shiitake mushrooms, Stir-fried Rice Noodle with chicken, shiitake mushrooms, brocolli, bean sprouts and egg, and Grilled Chicken Breast over rice noodle with imperial rool, cucumber and mint. Since Crispy Egg Noodle and Grilled Chicken Breast are staple Chinese Vietnamese food, they are good as usual. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the Stir-fried Rice Noodle. Although it looked bland (color-wise), we all agreed that it was really delicious and tasty. I guess the saying "we should not judge a book by its cover" also applies for food.


When we got back at the office, we enjoyed some yummy Sprinkles cupcakes (red velvet, chocolate, vanilla and carrot cake). I was super stuffed by the end of the day because all these goodies. Thank you my "best friends at work" for a wonderful and scrumptious birthday lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment