Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Spicy Yuba Omelet

Today at the Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market, I stopped by at the Hodo Soy Beanery booth and noticed that they have tofu skin (yuba). I was surprised that they had it so I bought one to try out at home. I searched for Yuba recipes on my favorite food sites and found a great article on NYTimes on Yuba and Hodo Soy Beanery written by Daniel Patterson (of Coi) who I also saw at the Farmers' Market today (and most Saturday). I decided to follow his Spicy Yuba Omelet - adapted from Minh Tsai (owner for Hodo Soy Beanery).


Ingredients:
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon sugar
3 sheets yuba
Sriracha or other chili paste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:
  • In a large, shallow baking dish or rimmed plate, combine the soy sauce, mirin, sugar and ¼ cup water. Mix well and set aside.
  • Spread one sheet of yuba on a work surface and draw a squiggle of chili paste horizontally across the middle. Fold the bottom third up over the middle third, then fold the top third down, as if folding a letter. Press the top down firmly. Set aside and repeat with another sheet.
  • Spread out the last sheet, add chili paste and place the two folded sheets of yuba in the center, one on top of the other. Fold the bottom of the last sheet over the middle and the top over that to enclose the first two sheets. Press the package firmly, then place in the baking dish with the soy-sauce mixture. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then turn and repeat.
  • Remove the yuba and drain the liquid, pressing gently to expel any excess. Place between two paper towels and press out any remaining moisture.
  • Set a large cast-iron skillet or other wide, heavy pan over medium heat and add the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the yuba (if it is too large, cut in half and cook in two pieces). Cook for about 1 minute, pressing gently with a spatula to keep the yuba in contact with the pan. Flip and cook for 1 minute, then repeat until both sides are browned and crisp. Transfer to paper towels and cut into pieces. Place on a serving plate and, if desired, dot with additional chili paste.
Note:
I've been going to Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market regularly in the past few years but I've never stopped at Hodo Soy Beanery booth to check out what they have. Stupid me... This is definitely a lesson for me to be more open minded and check out new places. While checking their website, I also noticed that they also have Soy Custard (silken tofu) that they serve with ginger-sugar syrup. I wonder if it has the same taste as Kembang Tahu (Douhua). I know that I will check next time if they have it since I can't find a good one in San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment