Monday, May 4, 2009

Stir-Fried Yam Leaf

Today was a weird day for me because things did not go as smooth as usual. So when I got home, I decided to relax by cooking a relatively simple Indonesian dish, Stir-Fried Yam Leaf (or Kangkung Belacan as we know it in Indonesia since we used water spinach there). I never made this dish before but I ate plenty of it and I saw a great recipe at Rasa Malaysia that I knew I could improvise on. Here is my 'adjusted' recipe (see note below):


Ingredients:
1 bunch of yam leaf (or water spinach leaf)
1 can of quail eggs
1/4 teaspoon shrimp paste
2 red bird's eye chilies (I used dried red chillies, halved and seeded)
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 shallot, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoons Oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
white pepper

Directions:
  • In a medium pan over medium high heat, stir fry the chilies, garlic, shallot and shrimp paste with the oil for 3-4 minutes until fragrant
  • Add in the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Oyster sauce, and the quail eggs and cook for another 3 minutes
  • Add in the yam leaves and stir thoroughly until the leaves started to wilt (cooked)
  • Adjust seasoning using sugar and white pepper
Note: The cooking did not go as well either as I over-seasoned the dish. The original recipe used a lot more shrimp paste and double the seasoning sauces. Although it tasted good, it was a bit in the salty side for me. And to top it off, my apartment smelled really bad for the whole night (the curse of shrimp paste)!

No comments:

Post a Comment