2 leeks, well washed and chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
salt and ground black pepper
2 cups of quartered crimini mushroom
1.5 cups of chicken stock
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 carrots, sliced into coins
2 boneless chicken thighs, diced
1 cup cubed ham
1 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
1/2 cup buttermilk
- Heat oven to 400F.
- In a large skillet, stir fry the leek, garlic and shallot with oil over medium heat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until liquid has released and evaporated, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add stock and rosemary; bring to a boil, and let bubble for a minute or two.
- Add carrots, ham and chicken and reduce heat so the liquid simmers and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until carrots are almost tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Add peas and cook, stirring occasionally for another minute or so.
- Take out rosemary stem and discard.
- Whisk cornstarch with a few tablespoons of broth to make a slurry, add slurry to pot and stir until liquid thickens slightly.
- Transfer everything to an ovenproof dish and set aside.
- Put flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a food processor.
- Add butter and process until mixture resembles small peas, no more than 30 seconds.
- Add in buttermilk and egg and mix quickly until it just comes together; it should be sticky.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter on top of vegetables and chicken and smooth with a knife, covering as much surface area as possible but leaving a few gaps for steam to escape.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until golden on top and bubbly underneath.
- Scoop into bowls and serve immediately.