nocoupons4 cups plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
zest of 2 lemons
3/4 pound (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cold heavy cream
2 cup dried cranberries
1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoonsmilk, for egg wash
1/8 cup raw (turbinado) sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In the bowl, mix 4 cups of flour, 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, salt and the zest.
- Add the cold butter and mix with a hand mixer until the butter is the size of peas.
- Combine the eggs and heavy cream and, with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture and mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy and sticky.
- Add the dried cranberries to the dough, and fold in until blended. Careful not to over work the dough.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it into a ball. Flour your hands and knead the dough 3/4-inch thick. You should see small bits of butter in the dough.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut triangles of dough.
- Place the scones on a baking pan lined with parchment paper or silpat.
- Brush the tops of the scones with egg wash, sprinkle with raw sugar, and bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked.
- The scones will be firm to the touch.