Monday, April 6, 2009

Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies

Wibowo and I made our famous Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies using Blue Bottle Coffee.


We did two batches: the first went straight into the oven, the other was baked after we refrigerated the dough for 12 hours (thank you New York Times for the suggestion). After a blind taste test, the second batch (the one on the left) was a clear winner. Had the perfect texture and was still moist in the center. Just the way I like it!


Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened (at room temperature)
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground Blue Bottle Coffee
1 bag of chocolate chips

Directions:
  • Preheat oven at 300F
  • Mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground coffee)
  • Cream butter and sugar until fluffy
  • Beat in egg and vanilla extract
  • Add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture in 2 phases
  • Mix all together at slow speed
  • Add in chocolate chips and mix with spatula
  • Bake for 16 mins for more moist (chewier) cookies or 18 mins for crunchier ones
-- Porgy, Guest Contributor

5 comments:

  1. Yum, I had some espresso chocolate chip cookie from Trader Joe's the other day. This recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these - you guys always make them so yummy! Good tip about refrigerating the dough! Good job on your guest post Porgy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Love the addition of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will make these this weekend:) My sister-in-law has a great recipe for chocolate ganache cupcakes with espresso. The combo goes so well together. I will follow your tip on refrigerating the dough. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love coffee and chocolate together, but never thought of adding ground coffee to chocolate chip cookies. I'm definitely bookmarking this and will try it as soon as I get more butter! :) Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete